E-mail MeJohn Howard Shows
Experience with practical insight sets my law practice apart from others. I have been practicing for more than 35 years and I am an "AV" rated attorney by Martindale Hubbell. I personally have represented entrepreneurs, business men and women, developers, widows, abused spouses and children. The common theme of my practice is people, not large corporations, but individuals with a variety of problems and needs. I desire a long standing relationship with clients and their children. I value their trust and confidence. I give them undivided loyalty and keep their problems and needs confidential and private.
I want to be referable to my client's friends and relatives. Therefore, I do say "thank you" and "please"; I am on time; I do what I say when I promise; and I finish what I start.
I do communicate with all clients regarding their case and what is happening. I recognize that clients really do know more than I do about their problem or need. I listen to what they have to say and act accordingly for their best interests.
I understand that the legal process is often confusing and feels extremely slow for people who are trying to work through an imperfect problem or need. I am sympathetic to their need to finish the job and bring the matter to conclusion.
My practice is limited to specific areas. I handle real estate sales and loans and I help homeowners acquire their first home. I handle all types of real estate litigation, for example: boundary line disputes, real estate contract disputes, real estate commission disputes, zoning changes, partitions of real property, quiet title suits, and suits to remedy the defective construction of a home.
I help administer estates and conservatorships. I advise families on estate planning and business succession. I handle court cases in all these same areas including Will Contests and trust litigation.
I was selected by the Mississippi Business Journal as one of Mississippi's 50 Leading Attorneys for 2010.
Areas of Practice
- Commercial Real Estate
- Residential Real Estate
- Estate Planning
- Wills, Trusts & Estates
- Business Transactions
- Family Law
- General Civil Litigation
- 25% of Practice Devoted to Litigation
- Mississippi, 1970
- U.S. District Court Southern District of Mississippi, 1970
- U.S. Supreme Court, 1973
- U.S. Court of Federal Claims, 1973
- George Washington University National Law Center, Washington, District of Columbia
- LL.M. - 1974
- Major: Taxation
- University of Mississippi School of Law, Oxford, Mississippi
- J.D. - 1970
- Honors: With Distinction
- Law Review: Member, Mississippi Law Journal, 1969 - 1970
- University of Mississippi, Oxford, Mississippi
- B.A.magna cum laude - 1968
- Major: History
- Major: Political Science
Professional Associations and Memberships
- Mississippi Bar Association, Member, 1970 - Present
- Hinds County Bar Association, Member, 1974 - Present
- American Bar Association, Member, 1970 - Present
Past Employment Positions
- Young Scanlon & Sessums, PA, Shareholder, 1976 - 1986
- H.C. Bailey Companies, General Counsel, 1986 - 1992
Pro Bono Activities
- Center for Violence Prevention, 2006 - Present
- Jones County Junior College Foundation, 2006 - Present